(for 4 portions):
for the Creme anglaise
- 120 gram caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, or 2tsp vanilla essence or use vanilla infused sugar
- 800 ml of milk
- 1 litre of water – for poaching
How to make:
- We start with the meringues
- Beat the egg whites add the sugar to a very firm consistency till it holds shape in stiff peaks.
- In a large pan bring the 1 litre water to simmering point
- Scoop shapely dumplings from the beaten egg whites and place them in the simmering water, I usually fit 3-4 in a pan together.
- Poach the meringues for half a minute then carefully turn them over to cook the other side for another 30 seconds. The meringues will grow during cooking.
- Carefully remove one by one with a slotted spoon and place on a plate, set aside. Repeat the process till cooked all the beaten egg whites.
- For the crème anglaise
- Mix all ingredients (egg yolks, sugar, milk) well together, could use a blender to get a smooth consistency or just gradually mix the milk with the sugarred egg yolks.
- On a low heat warm the mixture, while stirring continuously, watch carefully as it should not start to simmer or boil because the egg yolks would solidify, curdling the mixture with little scrambled egg pieces. I’ve seen a few recipes suggesting that the cooking temperature should be 85C.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken, take off the heat and keep stirring until it cools down significantly. Speed up the cooling process by carefully placing the pan into cold water. Leaving the mixture to stand while hot will result in curdling too. Mine did first time round, left it to cool beautifully smooth to come back to shock horror lumps – so keep stirring till at least lukewarm, then add the vanilla pod halved if using, place it in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold, with the meringues sitting on top of the thick vanilla sauce.
Sprinkle with lightly toasted blanched almond slivers for a nice taste and texture
Russle up a quick caramel sauce and drizzle across the meringues just before serving. (100g icing sugar, 2 tablespoons of water, on a medium heat combine and stir till light brown, remove from heat, let it cool slightly, serve)